Pau Gasol Net Worth
A brief Introduction
Pau Gasol, a Spanish professional basketball player & two-time NBA champion with Los Angeles Lakers was born on July 6, 1980 in Barcelona, Spain. He also got an opportunity to bear Spain’s flag during the opening ceremony of the 2012 Olympic games in London. He was a part of the Memphis Grizzlies for seven seasons, and after that he was traded to the Los Angeles Lakers. He was named NBA
Rookie of the Year in 2002, and is a two-time NBA champion with the Lakers.
At the age of 12, watching his favorite Team, Barcelona on television as the Olympic Gold Medal winner provided Gasol his first exposure to American NBA players. Gasol attended medical school at the University of Barcelona for one year as he wanted to become a doctor first, but an opportunity to play professional basketball changed his life completely.
Gasol’s net worth, Life & Career history
Gasol’s estimated net worth is of $65 million. Gasol was the primary resource in the titles won by the Los Angeles Lakers in 2009 and 2010. He signed a three-year, $57 million contract extension that kicks off with the 2011-2012 season.
Gasol is very privileged that he grew up in a sports-oriented family. He has two younger brothers, Adria and Marc. Marc played center with Gasol’s former team, F.C. Barcelona, in Spain. Both Gasol’s mother Marisa and father Agustí, played second-division basketball in Spain. Marisa is a medical doctor and Agusti is a hospital administrator by profession.
Few of the noticeable highlights of his career:
• Gasol was drafted third overall in the first round of the 2001 NBA Draft by the Atlanta Hawks, but later on, the rights were traded to the Memphis Grizzlies.
• During his first season as a pro, he became the first European player to be named “NBA Rookie of the Year,” and was also named to the league’s All-Rookie First Team.
• In 2006, Gasol was selected to play in the NBA All-Star Game as a reserve center for the Western Conference. He was the first Spanish player and first Grizzlie to make an appearance in the All-Star Game.
• Gasol helped the team finish the regular season with the best record in the Western Conference, 57-25. His excellent skills helped the Lakers to reach in the 2008 NBA Finals.
• Playing with his brother, Marc, he led Spain to a silver medal at the 2008 Olympics in Beijing.
• He also won a gold medal with Spain during the 2006 FIBA World Championships, and was named MVP of the tournament.
Affiliations to noble causes
Gasol’s “Pau’s Amigos” sponsored Tickets for Kids for six years. There were several Public service announcements made from Pau Gasol for Memphis City Schools. One of the most popular one was Memphis City Schools Fight-Free Fifty, which encouraged students to bound themselves for 50 days without fighting in school. During his tenure with Spain’s UNICEF committee as ambassador, Gasol has traveled to Angola and South Africa, visiting children’s hospitals and raising awareness among children with HIV and AIDS.
Gasol endorsed for Nike, Banco Popular and San Miguel. Lori Shepler, An L.A. Times photographer released a book titled “Life – Vida” in association with Pau Gasol that tracks Gasol’s life and teamwork. The book has been published in English & Spanish. He is the only non-American to win the NBA Rookie of the Year award.
Pau Gasol Bio Info
Full name: Pau Gasol Sáez
Born: 6 July 1980 (age 37 years), Hospital de Sant Pau, Barcelona, Spain
Height: 2.13 m
2016–present: San Antonio Spurs
Playing career: 1998–present
Current teams: San Antonio Spurs (#16 / Power forward, Center), Spain men’s national basketball team
Pau Gasol Quotes
- It doesn’t matter who gets what. It’s just a matter of doing what it takes to win. – Pau Gasol
- No one could have prepared for me BBQ on pizza. I mean, both are great. But together? It was incredible. – Pau Gasol
- Making the playoffs three consecutive seasons is a great accomplishment. – Pau Gasol
- I’m not a person or a selfish player, but we have to move the ball more, and we have to look further the team game, because we have enough talent to use different players. – Pau Gasol
Pau Gasol Videos on YouTube
60 MINUTES covers NBA all-stars Pau and Marc Gasol’s competitive spirit and family life in their native Spain.